Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 Summilux Asph.
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 00:07:01 -0700

Christer Almqvist wrote:

> >In Erwin's comparison of the 35 Asph. Lenses and the last 35 Summicron-M he
> >writes:
> >
> >*It seems as if the Summilux-M ASPH 35mm is a Summicron-M 35mm with one full
> >stop more.*
> >
> >Any comments?
>
> True. But:
>
> a/ The ASPH is 'sharper' than the spheric with both fully open, i.e. with
> one at 1.4 and one at 2.0.
I am not able to decipher this. Which Lenes are you talking about? There
are three lenses in question.

> b/ With both at 2.0,  the ASPH is much sharper than the spheric.
Which two Lenes are we talking about?

> c/ I can see no real diff from 2.8 onwards.
NO clue. I admit it. sorry.

> --
> christer almqvist
Christer I apologize if it is my mental block but I have not the
slightest clue what you are talking about as I indicated above.
There are three lenses in question.
So I quote Erwins Puts's info below.

From
http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/m/lenses/pages/l11879.html

Summicron-M ASPH 35mm gives a high contrast image with excellent micro
contrast and a crisp rendition of extremely fine detail from center to
the well into the outer zones. Light fall off is noticeable, but
restricted to a very small zone. Flatness of field is outstanding as is
the definition over the whole image area.
Summilux-M ASPH 35mm also gives this same performance, but the finest
details are rendered a fraction softer at the edges. The difference between
Summicron-M ASPH 35mm is the coverage over the image field. Center
sharpness is a mite better with Summilux-M ASPH 35mm, but this lens
loses more detail when going to the outer zones. This is visible at 30
times enlargement. So it is not easy to say which lens is better. I
would prefer to call it a difference in fingerprint or characteristic of
image rendering.
Summilux-M ASPH 35mm follows the classical* pattern of extremely high
center quality, becoming less so when going outwards. Summicron-M ASPH
35mm is a new pattern concentrating on even coverage over most of the
field. The difference between the center performance of Summicron-M ASPH
35mm and Summilux-M ASPH 35mm are in my view slightly academic, but they
are there to note (on the bench at least!).