Subject: [Leica] Monopods (somewhat off topic)
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 10:16:15 -0400

Dave Richards <dprichards@uswest.net> wrote:

>I'm looking for a monopod but I have yet to find one of a suitable size.
>I want it to be telescoping for transportability, but I also want it to
>be quite tall at maximum extension. I'm 6'3". My eyes are approximately
>5'9" (69") off the ground.  Allowing for the height of an M6 that means
>I want a monopod that extends to between 64" and 66".  As you may guess
>I'm trying to avoid bending excessively.  I've not located one this large,
>although by cobbling together a tall monopod and various combinations of
>tripod heads I can come up with something that may work.  However, I'm
>looking for something as aesthetically pleasing as it is servicable.

I have a Gitzo G1564 monopod with a Manfrotto 3232 swivel head and RRS
clamp mounted on top.  Got the idea from the RRS catalog:
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/

Fully extended this combination reaches about 65 inches (no camera
attached). The 'pod is made of aluminum (with a rubber grip) and weighs
about 2 pounds.  I've had no problems with flexing or collapsing, and
it's a heck of lot more convenient than a tripod.  (It also served as a
heavy-duty walking stick in the Alps last month.)

- --
Pieter Bras