Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V10 #15
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:31:38 +1000

- --------------545D9931946F797C316D803F

Doug Richardson wrote:

> Snip:

> Using a reference table from Ivor Matanle's book of classic cameras,
> that translates to 50 ASA and 10-25ASA respectively, and ASA is the
> same numerical value as today's ISO. (I'm always amused when the clerk
> in the photo store translates my request for "400ASA Kodacolor" into
> today's terms.)
>
>  Regards,
>
> Doug Richardson

Doug, There was a change in the ASA figures sometimes , I think , after
the second world war.
The film manufacturers started to get a bit more "optimistic" in the film
speeds.
What was before 100ASA turned in to 125ASA.

Maybe some of the LUGers know a bit more about it. It saves me looking it
up.

Also if you  look at the back of older M3 cameras, you'll find on the film
reminder dial
and compare the ASA setting with the DIN setting, there is a change
towards the Very late M3 models.

Regards, Horst Schmidt

- --------------545D9931946F797C316D803F

<HTML>
&nbsp;

<P>Doug Richardson wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Snip:</BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Using a reference table from Ivor Matanle's book
of classic cameras,
<BR>that translates to 50 ASA and 10-25ASA respectively, and ASA <B>is
the</B>
<BR><B>same numerical value as today's ISO.</B> (I'm always amused when
the clerk
<BR>in the photo store translates my request for "400ASA Kodacolor" into
<BR>today's terms.)

<P>&nbsp;Regards,

<P>Doug Richardson</BLOCKQUOTE>
Doug, There was a change in the ASA figures sometimes , I think , after
the second world war.
<BR>The film manufacturers started to get a bit more "optimistic" in the
film speeds.
<BR>What was before 100ASA turned in to 125ASA.

<P>Maybe some of the LUGers know a bit more about it. It saves me looking
it up.

<P>Also if you&nbsp; look at the back of older M3 cameras, you'll find
on the film reminder dial
<BR>and compare the ASA setting with the DIN setting, there is a change
towards the Very late M3 models.

<P>Regards, Horst Schmidt
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>&nbsp;</HTML>