Subject: Re: [Leica] Which to choose, SL or SL2?
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 14:38:20 +0200

Mikiro,

I have recently (within the past few weeks) bought into the Leicaflex and now
own both an SL2 Mot and an SL. First of all, I am not sure how collectible the
SL2Mot is. It is more expensive than the SL, to be sure, but the prices are
still well within reason, unless it is absolutely mint and includes the motor
(mine did not).

As for differences in real use: I like the SL2 better, mainly because of the
focusing screen with the split image. This makes focusing much easier for me,
since I have been using the M exclusively in the past year, and the concept of
focusing using a split image is very intuitive to me now. It is also nice to
have both the aperture and the shutter speed in the viewfinder.

The other differences are really minor for me. The increased sensitivity of the
light meter on the SL2 has so far not been important to me, as I do not use the
SLR for "available darkness" pictures--that is what my M3+Noctilux are for. The
way you open the camera is different too, with the SL2 having a system similar
to Japanese cameras of that age, i.e. you lift up the rewind crank. On the SL,
you push a button on the side while simultaneously pushing upwards a little bar.
I actually prefer the system on the SL.

Both my Leicaflexes are in good shape, so repair has not been needed. A dealer
in Amsterdam whom I know and trust warned me that there can be problems with the
fast shutter speeds on both of these models; I shot a roll of film using only
1/2000 and 1/1000 and found nothing wrong. I posed a question about this on the
LUG and did not get any responses indicating that this was a general problem.

My advice is: buy the first SL or SL2 that is in really nice condition. Either
way, you will be pleased.

Nathan

Mikiro Mori wrote:

> Hi, all.  I have been an R user but know very little about Leicaflex.  Now I
> am in the mood of trying an SL or an SL2.  I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1) Are there any differences between SL and SL2 in real shooting?  I read in
> "Leica Answers" that SL2 has a more sensitive meter, a viewscreen with a
> split-image, a readout for aperture in the viewfinder, and a mirror
> re-pivoting to allow protruding lenses.  Does SL2 feel much better than SL?
> I would assume that SL2mot is a collector's item....
>
> 2) I heard that once SL/SL2 needs repair, one often has to pay as much as
> one paid for the camera.  Are the parts still available?  Does repair
> generally cost very much?
>
> 3) Something special to check or bear in mind when buying one?
>
> Thank you for your advice and suggestions!
>
> Mikiro
> Strasbourg, France

- --
Nathan Wajsman