Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica and Contax
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:47:10 +1000

Bud Cook wrote:

> Stuart,
> I owned a Contax IIa with f/2.0 Sonnar back in the 50's.  Actually, I think
> that Sonnar was better than some of my pre-Summicron 50's for the Leica.   I
> used to have a lot of Kodachrome slides taken with the Contax but they've
> been lost over time.  I do remember that this lens produced very contrasty
> b/w prints.
> Bud

Bud,
the Sonnar was the "Star" lens for the Contax. Like all Zeiss lenses, it was
incredible sharp. It was much better than the Summarit from Leitz.

If the super sharpness was always such a desirable feature is a matter of taste.

The Summitar for example was not as sharp, but had in my opinion, more feel and
roundness (bokey?). However I think this is something one could debate over a
glass of Single Malt , or a bottle of Grange Hermitage.

Regards, Horst Schmidt