Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica and Contax
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:09:53 -0400

At 07:20 AM 7/12/99 -0500, Bud Cook wrote:
>I owned a Contax IIa with f/2.0 Sonnar back in the 50's.  Actually, I think
>that Sonnar was better than some of my pre-Summicron 50's for the Leica.

Well, pace Erwin, the entire photographic community of the era evaluated
the 2/50 Sonnar as substantially better than any Leica normal lens through
the collapsible Summicron.  The Postwar Sonnar is even better than the
Prewar, though that is no slouch, either.  And the 1.5/50 is a stunningly
fine lens even today:  the Russian clone remained in production until a
year or two back at KMZ and may still be in production at Zagorsk.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!