Subject: [Leica] Click stops on 28mm f5.6 Summaron?
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 08:46:00 -0400

"Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Does the 28mm f5.6 Summaron have click stops?
>
>I've seen three examples of this lens - the first didn't have click
>stops, the second did, and the third didn't.
>
>Were there two versions of this lens - one with click stops and one
>without?

Some lenses, like the old 135mm f4.5 Hektor were manufactured first
without and later (from 1954) with click stops.  But the 28mm f/5.6
Summaron was introduced in 1955 and would likely have been designed with
the click stops at that time.  Neither Lager nor Laney mention anything
about two versions, one with and one without aperture click-stops.

Consider the following incident:  a year ago I bought a used 90mm f/2.8
Elmarit (old chrome version).  It needed a CLA, and the aperture ring
felt a bit rough.  Before sending it off to Sherry K, I decided to have
a little fun with it and partially disassembled the thing.  Once I had
put it back together, though, I discovered the aperture click stops were
no longer functioning!

The story has a happy ending:  Sherry CLA'd the lens and restored the
click-stops, and the lens now functions beautifully in all respects.

You may want to ask a knowledgeable repair person.

- --
Pieter Bras