Subject: Re: [Leica] Summilux vs. Summicron
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:23:45 +0200

Richard,

I do not think you will lose much. I used to own a Summilux from the 70s,
and it was a very nice lens. I sold it when I bought the Noctilux and
replaced it with the Summicron for general use. But if I could only have one
50mm lens, it would definitely be the Summilux. If you take pictures of
statues or other stationary objects, you will see some difference in image
quality at the wide apertures, but in more normal use you would be hard
pressed to do so. One difference is that the 70s Summilux only focuses down
to 1 m (as opposed to 70 cm for your Summicron); this may or may not be an
issue for you.

Nathan

"Richard J. Wyble" wrote:

> And so I ask what I might gain and what I might loose by selling the
> 50mm Summicron and picking up a late-70's vintage 50mm Summilux?
> Specifically, what will I gain and what will I loose in terms of image
> quality? Perhaps in an ideal world I might own both but not being
> amongst the wealthy I can't afford it so it's not an option.
>
>   rwyble@erols.com
>   Richard J. Wyble

- --
Nathan Wajsman