Subject: Re: [Leica] "Filters for the 75/1.4M indoors?"- Certainly!Especially for ne...
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:44:41 -0400

Don-
HAving shoot a bunch of film with these filters I can oinly say that with
chrome, it is a 'shoot and try' situation since you cannot really adjust the
rendering of the transparencies.
The filters are usually, as I recall, 80a the corrects regular 3200 K
tungsten to 3400K for tungsten film, 80b for using using daylight with
3400-3600K photoflood, then a deeper 80c and 80d.
The problem is that the color varies with the voltage and wattage rating of
the buld and what voltage it is used at.
Typically- if your current may be anywhere from 100vac to 120vac- and the
lower the voltage, the warmer the light. Also- some people and commercial
establishments use commercial bulbs rated at 130vac, and under use at the
110v-120v- they last much longer, but they render a warmer light. Also- in
restaurants- they often have lkights on dimmer switches- the light goes
positively red at some low settings! I've shot with a noctilux at these low
levels, and while the negative was 'printable', the color was as red as a
baboon's butt and no amount of reasonable filtration, either on or off the
camera would have made a difference!
So- in short--- it all depends! It is a situation where there are so many
variables, that unless you have a color meter on site, and a complete set a
decamired filters like a motion picture shoot, you sort of have to take what
you get.
I still say that using an 80B will at least get you enought information in
the blue sensitive layer that some reasonable correction can be made in
negative film output.
If I were using gel filters or CP filters, I would start with w 10C+25B with
most household tungsten, but experiemtnation would be necessary for absolute
correction values.
Does anyone know if Gossen still makes their color meter?
Dan