Subject: Re: [Leica] warm polarizer
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:59:58 -0700

Dan Post wrote:

> MArk-
> You are right- using a lighter filter to get SOME information will help in
> negative film. Since so many folks use chrome film, however, that the more
> correction used there, the better.
> A funny thing is that even negative film will show the bias of the time of
> day- I can print a roll taken over the period of a customer's outing, and
> while the photos taken in the late morning to early afternoon look natural,
> the late afternoon sun seems to render a 'golden' glow when the shadows
> start to lengthen! I had always heard that if you wanted good color before
> 10am or after 2pm, a bit of cooling filtration was needed (82A).
> I have an 81A also for slight warming- I used to use it for chromes when I
> shot under trees or cloudy days and wanted a nice 'warm' tone.
> If your photofinisher can correct ( some of these kids don't understand
> color- I had sent one customer back to a Wal-Mart and told them to have the
> prints redone. They were too dark, but the negatives looked fine. We had
> done some 5x7 enlargements from them and they came out very nicely. He took
> the negatives back, and we got a call from the 'lab' person at Wal-Mart who
> wanted to know how to print them lighter!!! It was one of those moment where
> you don't know whether to laugh, cry, scream, hang up the phone, or just
> shake your head. I was speechless!)- as I said, if your photofinisher can
> and will make corrections, by all means shoot with some sort of correction
> filter- some is better than none.
> Dan
><snip>

Did he know you knew how to work the machine?
Yes the 82A is what I had in mind I picked up a filter brochure last night and
looked through it remembering all those numbers and number systems.
My point would have been better stated to use compensation instead of conversion
filters but this would apply not to chromes but to negs.
Looking though this thing the idea of a warm polarizer seems usable. I might
check that out. I wonder if it would be bad for black and white?
Mark Rabiner