Subject: [Leica] G2 on my new Contax
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:42:44 -0400

Just got a G2 kit.
Shot three rolls through it since yesterday afternoon (all TriX).
Did a bunch of F. Picker test shots around the neighborhood (you know, 18%
grey card portraits on different backgrounds; old barns, fields with horses,
snowy creeks in slo mo, etc.). Also got shots at a party last night, wild
stuff [not 'wild' party, just wild as in grabbed shots from the hip].

Am pleasantly surprised by each lens (28/45/90) and, more importantly, the
body.
It is quiet and quick.  Manual focus is a ...treat; you push the button with
your right thumb then rock the focus wheel with your right index to roll it
one way or the other (there's no measure of what you are focusing on [ie;
split screen], but a gauge depicts near and far. If you know your Ÿ stop
[DOF] you get a sense of where sharp focus will fall.)  ?
That funkiness withstanding, who needs MF when you've got such a
sophisticated AF in the camera?
The zoom view finder is cool, what you see is what you get, no frame lines
to clutter your view (only that little black meter/focus rectangle dead
center).  Viewfinder shifts automatically for parallax correction.

Yeah, so it's the most expensive AF RF in the World, who cares?  I like it's
mass, and ergonomic feel.  It's not fussy nor complicated, but definitely
more versatile than my MLeicas (as it relates to control of exposure and
metering).  The optics are just fine, especially so for a miniature format.
Any better and you're just splitting hair or shining the bottom of your
shoes [me thinks].  My test prints look just fine.
It has an electromechanical release of the vertical focal plane shutter.
Touch the button half way, get your reading (which can be set for either
instantaneous or continuous); tiny bit more pressure and it fires off a
round and advances. AE range is 16S" to 1/6000th, manual from 4S" to
1/4000th.  Can shoot up to 4fps (dependent upon conditions), and brackets
automatically (if you select it).
The one caveat is fuzzy logic focusing; that it CAN get faked out if you're
not careful.  But the camera won't rip off a shot if it doesn't have a good
focus (in AF).  IT stops you, then YOU adjust- making the shot.

NOT PICKING ANY FIGHT HERE FOLKS- just offering some hands on info for those
who may find it of interest.  Contact with the modern world maybe.

no archive