Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: new leica models
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:04:11 +0100

Dan,
The Hexar story will be interesting to see resolved, it has been part of LUG
folklore since I started logging on a year or two ago! I spoke to the Konica
gents at the Photokina stand last September and they seemed to be genuinely
dissapointed that they couldn't show the camera then and there. In truth I
think I was more excited by seeing that camera than the re-hashed M6 TTL HM
0.85 IBM POV HIQ etc...

The other discussion which seemed a little briefer on that subject was with
the Leica bosses at their table in the meeting that Erwin had organised. I
asked them whether they were aware (of course they were) and what their
response was, feeling challenged? threatened? ignoring it? And whether they
knew why Konica weren't able to show the camera...

They replied that they didn't feel threatened and that they didn't know why
Konica weren't showing the camera. There didn't seem to be any strange body
language looking like they were hiding things from us but then maybe they
are skilled practictioners at playing poker / hiding dark(?!) secrets.

Certainly a conversation with the Hd of Leica UK here suggested that the
corporate view of these Leica type lenses and camera releases is that it
should provide impetus for response. Though how you can respond positively
to a 15mm lens which costs buttons, performs exceedingly well and comes
complete with a viewfinder for not much more than the cost of what Leica
charge for a viewfinder alone, is a frustrating challenge to set someone!!

I only hope that Leica can see the positive way forward. I believe many of
these new product makers are entering the Leica type market for reasons of
homage, they would genuinely not want to see Leica disappear and are very
aware that far Eastern competetion previously has decimated the German
precision camera industry. This is most likely the reason that many of the
lens offerings are available only in limited quatities.

Roll on the M6 'Comfort'...

best regards,

Jem