Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: FS Friday
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 17:23:46 EDT

In a message dated 7/16/99 1:32:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
DonjR43198@aol.com writes:

<< Subj:	 Re: [Leica] Re: FS Friday
 Date:	7/16/99 1:32:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:	DonjR43198@aol.com
 Sender:	owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
 Reply-to:	<A
HREF="mailto:leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us">leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca
.us
</A>
 To:	leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

 In a message dated 7/16/99 3:21:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
 TTAbrahams@aol.com writes:

 << Just noticed you do not advertise my "Softies"  - one of  our US
 customers
  who e-mailed us ended buying 2 from Sherry. Not quite sure why as I told
her
  you had  stock!
  Best for now,
  Tuulikki >>

 What are "softies"? >>
                                                The Abrahamsson Softrelease
(Softie)

The Softrelease is a very simple device; it is a dome shaped "button" that
screws in to your regular release (using the same thread as the cable
release). There has been a lot of these done over the years, dish shaped cast
aluminum ones (notorious for breaking off in the thread), small plastic ones
with camera names on them and of course, the Leica one - a complex, tall
spring loaded device that forever got caught in straps and stood ¾" proud of
the camera (it is also a highly collectible device, easily costing $50 at the
trade shows). I decided to design my own one - I disliked the dish shaped
version, it required that you use the tip of your finger to release the
shutter - not conducive to a smooth action. By making the top dome shaped you
can use the joint on your finger to squeeze the release - very much akin to
firing a target-pistol or a rifle. The diameter is the same as the cup
surrounding the M release button. The edge is knurled so that you can easily
unscrew it if required. It is machined from an aerospace alloy on a CNC
(computer numerically controlled) machining center. It comes in a variety of
colors (some users indicate filmtype with the different colors). Nothing is
of course perfect - the Softrelease is also prone to releasing the shutter
every time you put it in a camera bag, but in my estimation, that's a low
price to pay for the sharper image that you get, at least when you are
shooting in the very slow range. Without the release I can probably get a 50%
success rate with a 50-mm lens and 1/15th speed. With the release I can get
down as low as ¼ or 1/8 of a sec and still be reasonably sure of getting
sharp images. It is amazing what you can get on film with a 50/1 and Delta
3200 film.

The Abrahamsson Softrelease is available in following colors:
- - Chrome
- -Black
- - Titanium
- -Red
- -Green
- -Turquoise
and
Purple

The price for a is US$10 (incl. airmail). For 20 or more  Softreleases the
price is US$7/each.
- ---------------------------
PS
The Softrelease also fits:
- -Rollei 35
- -Nikon FM/FM2
- -Nikon FE2
- -Bessa L
- - Leicaflex
and of course
- -all Leica Ms and Rs

To order please send a check/$10-bill to;
Tom Abrahamsson
#203-1512 Yew Street
Vancouver, BC
V6K 3E4