Subject: Re: [Leica] Collapsible 4/9cm Elmar
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:42:05 -0400

At 06:46 PM 7/19/99 +0000, Dan Khong wrote:
>Marc
>
>Mine is between the first and second.
>
>Now that some of us nice leeeetle boys have taken the trouble to check out
>our precious nice leeeeetle possessions, please tell us the significance of
>this finding.   If it is bad news, please email me privately.

If Leitz did it this way, they had a reason:  I now suspect that ALL
collapsible 4/9cm Elmars have the diaphragm between the first and second
elements, and not between the second and third as is standard in all other
four-element Elmars.  The reason is probably the arrangement of the
aperture dial.

What is especially interesting is that so many of the authorities (Laney,
Lager, van Hasbroeck, even Rogliatti) seem to have missed this change.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!