Subject: [Leica] The Metz 40-Mz3 a dinosaur?, was: SF-20 Flash
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:06:44 +0200

Jeffcoat Photography wrote:

> I don't know about you but I do find the Metz 40Mz 3i
> a better unit that the Nik-- SB-28 or 26. Comment?

Wilber,

I use the 40-MZ3 with a R8 and also a SB-26 with a Nikon AF
since 2 years.
In my personal opinion the 40-MZ3 is a dinosaur in
comparison with the SB-26.

For me the 40-MZ3 is to heavy, to big (it use twice the
space in my camera bag), to close from the lens (red eyes)
and sometime even longer than the lens (= R-50 f2).
The mix of electronic button and sliding mechanical switch
is outdated, not so user friendly and also not totally reliable.
This week end I had to slide 3 times the TTL switch and to
remove the flash from the camera before it accept to change
from M to TTL (and I burned 5 pictures before I noticed the problem).
And I need the instruction manual, when I want to remember
all the possibilities it offer.

BTW, it never worked with the Nikon SCA adapter with which
it was bought new in the same box!!

The 40 MZ3 usually does his job, the picts are nice with the
white plastic reflector or with a white ceiling, but I
really don't like that flash.

But I like the way the R8 work with a flash. It's really a
smart combination.
It really deserve a new 'cobra like' Leica SF-36 instead of
that brick.
But I don't think it will happen soon.
:-(

To bad my old Metz 36 CT3 (cobra) didn't work with the SCA 3501.

Cheers,

Lucien