Subject: Re: [Leica] Some R questions....
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:05:45 EDT

In a message dated 7/20/99 1:22:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
InfinityDT@aol.com writes:

<< 1. Anybody used *both* the 70-210 f4 and 80-200 f4 (latest) lenses?

I use the 28-70 and the 70-210 for my "carry everywhere" SLR outfit. I have
not used the 80-200, however I can tell you that the 70-210 is very good and
satisfies my hand-held snapshot shooting needs. Color redition and detail are
very good. For shooting moving objects when you can't move, this combination
is ideal. I use the prime lenses for tripod and critical shooting although
small color prints do not reveal any diffeences to my eyes.

 2. My lens choices (again, based on weight mostly, and then price, plus of
 course the assumption that *all* Leica lenses are great!) are 28 (previous
 version), 35 f2.8, 50 f2, 90 f2.8 and 180 f4.

 I have all but the 180 f4.  Starting with the 180, I would buy  the 180 3.4
APO which is available reasonably priced now days. Its performance is
spectacular! The 90 2.8 is easily a match for the M version of the same
thing, which is to say it is also wonderful.  The 50 f2 is in the same
category and the 35 2.8 is just about as good as is the 28 (a surprisingly
good lens considering its age),  In short these are all terrific lenses and
are real bargains on the used market.

 3. Body choice so far is leaning heavily to the R7.

I have several R and Flex bodies, the R7 is the best all -around body
including the R8, IMO. I feel that the R8 is too big and plastic-feeling.
The SL and SL2 are big also but feel "real" like a Leica should. The R7 is a
very smooth machine but not as fast in rsponse as are the SL and SL2 and even
the R3 (at least that is my impression). I rarely miss an exposure with the
R7 on automatic. There maybe some benefit to multiarea metering, but I never
felt deprived without it and I have used the R8 quite a bit.
That's my 2 bits.
Bob Figlio