Subject: Re: [Leica] photoshops in Frankfurt
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 11:11:46 -0600

Yon Jun Chung wrote:

>         I haven't been able to get to Germany myself (yet), but I have bought some
> stuff via email from Foto Hobby (http://www.foto-hobby.de) <snip>
>
> >Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:20:45 -0700 (PDT)
> >From: George Hartzell <hartzell@corp.webtv.net>
> >Subject: [Leica] I'm heading for Germany, help with things to do?
<snip>
> >I'll be flying in and out of Frankfurt, and would love to hear about
> >places to go/things to see between there and my meeting (including
> >interesting camera shops).

Shopping while on overseas vacations can be good if it draws you away
from the typical tourist sights, and gets you smack in the middle of the
real living, breathing city. In fact, this is where I particularly enjoy
photographing, because the other kind of photo, that of the popular
tourist destination, can be found in many coffee-table books, but the
other stuff? Hard to find.

I've only been to Germany once, and never to Frankfurt. But I think in
general, I'd fuss less with gothic cathedrals, and maybe more with train
stations, shop windows piled high with sausage, and maybe even some
photographs of the autobahn. I also try to eat and drink stuff that's
not readily available at home: Why travel all that way to have a Big Mac
and a Coke?

As far as actually *buying* big-ticket items, I generally prefer to get
a business card, so that I can have the goods shipped directly to my
home at a later date, tax-free. Usually while travelling, I do not have
$900-3000 of extra spending money, anyhow! However, this is more of a
guideline than a rule.

Jeff