Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 TTL off camera flash operations
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <yaojkfdr@netvigator.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:57:10 +0800

Lucien wrote:

> With the SF-20, an much better solution is the small Contax extension cable.
> It is shorter, lighter and there is a foot on the extended side that you will
> not find on the SC-17.
> That cable is prefect with the CTOOM Leitz flash bracket  (1954-59), or any
> other bracket with a flash connecting shoe.
>
> Why is o.k. only with the SF-20 + R8 or with any TTL flash + M6 TTL?
> Because there is only 2 additional contacts on the Contax cable instead of 3 on
> the SC-17.
> The contact which is not transmitted is the one for the zooming of the flash
> head.
> That option is not available on the SF-20 or with the M6TTL anyway.
> In the Leica SF-20 instruction book, on page 20/21 about that third additional
> contact,
> Leica said : '18c : additional  contact (currently not assigned)'.
>
> With the Metz 40Mz2/3/3i + R8, you will need the SC-17, but the problem will be
> to attach the cable to a bracket (because of the lack of foot).
> The SC-17 offer only a tripod bush (the Contax cable offer also the tripod bush
> inside the connecting foot).
>
> That small Contax TTL cable is never far away from the SF20 in my camera bag.
>
> Lucien

Lucien,

I, too, did consider the Contax cable for the reasons you gave.
However, in this part of the world, the Nikon cable is more readily
available whereas the Contax cable has to be ordered.  Also, I find the
Nikon cable a bit more robust.

I also happen to use a Metz 40MZ3i with my R8 a lot, so the Nikon SC-17
is essential.  For bracket use, I have a Metz G16 Power Grip and a SCA
3000 cable and these will eliminate the need of the Nikon SC-17
altogether.

Thanks again for your advice and suggestions.

Bests,

Joseph