Subject: [Leica] Re: magazines
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 22:01:25 +0000

Point taken about the decline of the "British Empire."  It should have
learnt from the rise and fall of the Roman Empire.   Alas, what goes up
must come down.  Who knows... the US stock market might be next in line.

In 1969 when I became serious about photography, Amateur Photographer was a
well respected weekly magazine which costs us poor secondary school
students $1.30 per copy.  Yet that was the best magazine available and we
willingly parted with our hard saved pocket money to read it from cover to
cover.

I regret to say that AP has not kept up with the times.  Month after month
and year after year (in the past decade or so), the articles are
"Amateurish", lack content and the pages are now filled with "B" grade models.
Thank goodness, they did not flaunt these models when I was a schoolboy;
otherwise it would have been difficult for the school photography club to
keep some of these mags within the premises.

Now I am no longer a schoolboy and a wee bit more discerning.  All
considered, I am putting my money into the various US photo mags which will
definitely improve my standard of photography.

Dan K.
                    "A tripod a day, keeps the shakes at bay."