Subject: Re: [Leica] Amateur Photographer and R8
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:32:26 -0700

Leopold Green wrote:

> I agree with the point that Britain has declined in relative affluence,
> however, as in all societies this isn't equally divided, there remains a
> sufficient proportion of UK society capable of affording Leica, or Aston
> Martin, or various 'up market' HiFi's [KEF and the like]. Leica UK seem to
> sell reasonably well. I also agree that it is fine for other SLR's to beat
> the R8, BUT if it is done fairly. This test wasn't fair! Neither was their
> test last year when they placed the M6 last against the G2 and XPAN. The
> point I really wanted to make is that AP completely ignores Leica's lens
> selection, and after all a camera body is, no matter how good it is,
> something you mount a piece of glass on. When people are thinking of buying
> a camera system, even a 'high end one' they may well look at magazines like
><snip>

At the magazine racks I frequent there are a slew of British Photo magazines;
Say 4 or 5.
Many of them seem to be from the same publisher. The mentality is not what I've
been seeing every night in "Jeeves and Wooster." for the past week and a half.
(We've rented the whole set) Makes our Popular Photography Magazine look like an
eloquent optical Journal. Those crazy British are as foreign from my American
culture as a lost tribe in the Amazon. They do speak American though.
Mark Rabiner