Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Re: UK magazines
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:24:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Malcolm McCullough wrote:
> >
> > Dan K wrote:
> >
> > >In 1969 when I became serious about photography, Amateur Photographer was a
> > >well respected weekly magazine which costs us poor secondary school
> > >students $1.30 per copy.  Yet that was the best magazine available and we
> > >willingly parted with our hard saved pocket money to read it from cover to
> > >cover.
> >
> > What about Camera Owner which became the equally badly named Creative
> > Camera Owner then, still no better, Creative Camera? They had some
> > inspiring stuff, miles away from AP. At the time I though that AP was aimed
> > at people who wanted to become FRPS's (Fellows of the Royal PS). I cherish
> > the issue of CCO in which Raymond Moore was 'Camera owner of the month'.
> > There couldn't be a worse description for Ray (God rest his soul). There
> > was a later CO magazine, I think. Nothing to do with the original.
> >
> ><snip>
> I thought Popular Photography when it had Cora Wright Kennedy, Bill Pierce,
> Norman Rothschild and a slew of other Notables with a gravure center section was
> a heck of a magazine. That is when American Photographer first came out. I used
> to read both cover to cover the day I got them.
> Mark Rabiner

Cora and Norman are no longer with us. Those were the good ole days
when camera makers advertised in the photo magazines and supplied the
needed money so that the magazines could do a good job (most of the
time). In the late 1960s I was the U.S.Editor of Creative Camera, which
was first called Camera User. From 1971 to 1986 i was the Executive
Editor at Popular Photography. Worked on the teaching stories, mostly.
One of my favorites was the Hattersley Class. Hat lives in Texas
now. If anyone would like to write him snail-mail I can supply the
address.
Just send me an E-Mail message. Ed Meyers