Subject: Re: [Leica] why leica?
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 06:28:28 -0400

At 09:44 +0100 23/07/99, Guy Bennett wrote:
>can you say, concisely, why you do use leica? what is it exactly about
>these cameras that appeals to you?

	--> it is very unlikely a novice would be in a position
	to appreciate the finer things Leica brand products
	can bring to a seasoned photographer.
	--> "professionals" often have to "make do" with what
	the boss thinks is good enough to get the job done,
	the invoice paid.
	--> why get a BMW when a Honda gets you there,
	seems to be a general philosophy.
	--> some Leica people possibly get it as a fetish,
	a fantasy come true, an identity factor, a token of self-reward,
	a status symbol, others go for it knowing fully
	the upsides and downsides of the product,
	pay Leica premium prices because the results usually
	justify the extra expense and finally rest assured
	their work, their art, their photo time is likely
	to reach a higher degree of satisfaction with Leica.
	--> notice: "a token of self-reward", that one is MY
	personal motivation, as photo related equipment goes.
	--> I suppose a Canon A2E with I.S. zoom is a good thing
	to many people, and I truly appreciate it for what it is
	and what it can do, but a point and shoot would bring
	as much satisfaction to me when people ask me to
	"take a photo or two". The Konica Hexar is getting closer.
	The good old Nikon FM2 is a good camera, too.
	A Carl Zeiss Contarex probably would get a very high note
	if it was still available, ... alas.

	That leaves LEICA:
	You want a real, fine photo instrument ?
	You have grown beyond the photo basics and auto-focus?
	You have come to compose an image on instinct and art?
	You have come to a point where you don't mind slow speed
	films and enjoy their other qualities ?
	Your budget alllows for it (more or less) ?
	Photography is a consuming passion and you are well read
	on many of the great photography masters of all time
	and can appreciate and discriminate even amongst their
	very best shots?
	You attend photo exhibits and you drool to achieve
	such high quality images?
	You appreciate high quality goods for what they are?
	You have evolved a personal photo style that photo literate
	friends recognize at first sight and that stands on its own
	with knowledgeable stangers or art directors?
	You don't necessarily mind the "others do it, why don't you"
	mentality and have long ago decided to go your own way
	in life and simply enjoy your photo hobby for a relaxing moment
	in a very busy, involving, hectic, professional life?

	These, Guy, seem to be a few of the motivations that
	get people to buy into Leica brand. It took me some time
	to realize why the darn things are so expensive but it grew
	on me. I can point to alternates, as I did above, and I think they
	stand as "good stuff", but there is a time for a Leica
	in one's life and I can truly wish for you that such a privilege
	has landed for you.

	Perhaps some get such items for social approval and psychological
	security, but the product performs in positive predictable fashion.
	Some do criticize this or that but they really fail to allow
	themselves to become aware of the shortfalls of competing brands
	as we stand in 1999 and business conditions have become quite
	demanding.

	Perhaps there are a few Leica customers who aren't satisfied.
	The percentages must be very low. As former store manager & rep
	(with an obvious serious input to make the service department
	perform and personally help out to make sure things ran as
	smoothly as possible when equipment failed), such customers,
	a high percentage of people who experience problems with
	high end brands, or non-problems, simply can't be satisfied
	and demand of others what they themselves can't deliver on
	in their own lines of business.

	So, weighing the product, the enduring value, the serious effort
	that's Leica philosophy and business praxis, the competition's
	present day real life company philosophies and business practices,
	I would indeed try my best at getting you to consider and buy
	into Leica brand products.

	Leica is here to stay. It's a company that has had difficult
	times, it's not all that big, but it managed to get through
	demanding market conditions in the past, and, this very
	year, have made an astounding come back, company wise,
	and new products are on their way.
	The premium models, the Leica M-line and the SLR series,
	and ancillary products will stay but, as will become clear shortly,
	intermediate markets will soon have to contend with
	outstanding next generation general consumer Leica models that will
	further contribute to rectify Leica's corporate financial
	picture, and that of its world-wide dealers. In April,
	Leica shares hit a very low point: they have now resumed
	a quite healthy level, reflecting the confidence of investors,
	the larger ones having access to inside info that got them
	to calm down... So, that means Leica is likely to be more
	aggressive in market segments it had poor market share
	before, simply on the strength of what's coming our way
	in "general public" offerings that will add to their excellent
	current models.

	To my mind, a completely new Leica Z3X level (above the Z2X)
	of variants and a unique, one-of-a-kind prosumer AF/AE rangefinder,
	with dedicated high grade Leica optics, some patented for new science,
	not a M-line baby, definitely more than a point-and-shoot,
	are soon to come our way, along with revolutionary lenses
	of which the current Leica-M 35mm ASPH f/2 Summicron
	can only be a forerunner.

	So, I hope I have been more useful than just "Leica-babbling",
	and that, whatever you do, that some day, you'll enjoy your
	Leica camera (or system) to its fullest potential.

	All the best !

	Andre Jean Quintal

   "Of course, everybody knows pigs rule this World."

		Miss Piggy, in a private interview
		leading to her authorized life story.