Subject: Re: [Leica] why leica?
From: Austin Burbridge <LIGHTandPOWER@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:32:41 -0700

My reasons:

1. It's quiet.
2. It's manual.
2. It's rugged.
3. It fits nicely into the hand.
4. Perhaps some day I'll be able to afford a Noctilux.

The camera kit which preceded my present one (a Leica M6 and a Minox
LX) was: a Pentax LX and an Olympus XA. The LX was lovely but I was
forever getting myself into close situations where I'd have to lock
up the mirror to get quiet enough to shoot (and its "chip" failed
twice -- an expensive bummer). The XA was lovely, too, but not really
very sturdy.

I had tried, briefly, to use an Olympus Stylus, but turning off the
flash in low light is very difficult to do (and it reverts to flash
after each exposure) and it is remarkably noisy for such a compact
device.

It is nice that Leica lenses are so very sharp, but in view of the
way I take pictures that is a bonus, rather than a desideratum.