Subject: [Leica] Re: Why Leica?
From: sandyquandt@centuryinter.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 99 02:00:07 GMT

> The guy behind the counter and I stared at each other for a moment, and then
> he explained that the camera was not working in the PROGRAM mode, and that
> the customer had no idea how to use a camera manually, or in any other mode.
>
> This episode served to reinforce my opinion that new photographers "pro" or
> otherwise are better served learning how to use their BRAIN to adjust their
> little camera knobs and not let the camera think for them.
>
> Automation is dandy, but it can leave you in a state of mental atrophy.

Precisely my reason for using a Leica. My F5 has allowed me to produce some
satisfying images while simultaneously developing muscles along with major
skeletal deformities, but I have learned more about **photography** since using
an M6. For "street shooting," people seem more at ease when I'm using the
M6...all I have to do is smile and they relax and ignore the camera (or they
figure I'm just fiddling with it since they don't see a flash and can't hear
the shutter firing). Aside from the fact that I appreciate the Leica
craftsmanship and the fabulous glass, I also find that I'm more likely to take
my Leica with me (and consequently shoot more) as opposed to schlepping a
tripod and twenty pounds of SLR equipment for low light shots.

Sandy