Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V10 #36
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 09:22:17 -0500

Dave,

It was more the attitude from Leica NJ that totally turned me off...they
were beyond rude...lost my camera (yes LOST it)...flat out told me that
they could not find the problem so they kept sending it back to me
broken...and other things.  I HATE poor customer service and when a
camera that I paid appx 2400 usd for including the winder costs me double
that in blown shots I sure as hell want some kind of decent customer
service not a big corporate run around.

As far as the sync adaptor you ought to read your instruction book on the
R8....sync voltage is 24 volts same as in the EOS 1, F5 and other
electronic cameras. If you are using any older strobe you will run the
risk of frying your camera if you do not protect in some way.  I never
used the sync voltage thing on my old EOS gear before switching to Leica
R and kept blowing the sync plug out...had no idea there was such a thing
as sync voltage...got the R8 and read the book, bought a lumedyne thing,
never blew the sync plug...just everything else on the damn camera did
not work....have not blown the voltage on my new EOS gear yet either
using the sync filter...

I do understand the "feel" of the gear.  That was one thing I really
liked about the Leica stuff.  But in the 1 year I used the Leica SLR
stuff I sent in my R8 three times, My R6 once, my 180 once...it seemed
like every month something was going out FED_EX for repair.....I
personally just can't afford that.

And since getting back into the EOS stuff and getting mostly primes in
place of the zooms I am much happier with the gear.  And I use my M's a
whole  lot to get the hands on feel...

And the problems with the EOS 3 do not surprise me too much...that is the
reason I went with the EOS 1n...I figured that a new body would have
problems. Kinda like buying a Microsoft product better wait till v 3 at
least to avoid most of the bugs.  ;0)

On 7/23/99 10:00 PM Dave Yoder wrote:

> Harrison--give the R8 a break!! Right now there are two brand-new EOS
>3's on our lab
>manager's desk waiting to go back for electrical problems. It's not just
>the R8 (that
>said, I have to send mine in 'cause the sync plug ain't working). And
>speaking of the EOS
>3, at least you don't have to buy a sync-plug adapter for the R8 to avoid
>blowing out the
>circuitry like is required for the EOS 3.

Best regards,
Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net
http://www.mcclary.net