Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V10 #36
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 12:50:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 LEICAMAN56@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Walt,
>
> I agree that the plastic junk won't work with Speedotrons.  But how does this
> explain the R8's, F5's and EOS 1n's?  I use Speedos and to my dismay, fried
> the circuit to my R8 twice, the second time after buying a voltage filter.
> The second time I fried the circuit because I plugged the PC into the camera
> with the flash power on.  I find it inexcusable that "pro" cameras can't be
> used on a Speedotron.  Why can't the manufactures build a camera to tolerate
> higher line voltages or build the line filter into the circuitry?  The
> solution for me was to dump the R8 and go back to the R7.
>
> Bill Rosauer

I remember interviewing Harry Parker, the owner of the ASCOR professional
electronic flash company, in 1958 or 1959. His big point was that
his flash units had a low-voltage trigger circuit to prevent "welding"
synch contacts in cameras. I wrote about this new feature in
Modern Photography magazine. It amazes me today that corners are still
cut to save bucks. Ed