Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux users please sound off
From: Zeissleica@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:12:51 EDT

In a message dated 7/27/99 2:51:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jplaurel@microsoft.com writes:

>  I've heard many rants and raves from Noct owners on the list in the past.
>  I'd like to hear any comments from those of you who own one of these.

Jim...

I have one of the very early 11821 lenses, except my Hove book pegs it as
being a 1975 issue instead of 1976 (# 2749XXX).  As I have had it just a few
months, I can only say that it takes some getting used to and I have much to
learn with it yet.  Images I've taken with it can be found at the link below:

http://members.aol.com/zeissleica/private/_private/noctilux_page.htm

I have found it to be heavy, like a telephoto (it has even been mistaken by
some as being a short tele).  It has a long focusing throw, which can throw
you off when first using it.  Additionally, when you are shooting with it
wide open, the depth of field is astoundingly short (hyperfocal distance at
f/1.0 is 273 feet[!], so that is of little help).

But when the subject is rendered as you have envisioned...  Wow.  I haven't
seen anything that can deliver like the Noct.

The first time you are shooting indoors with shutter speeds you normally use
outside, you'll start to crack a smile.  And when others tell you the shot
won't come out "because you're not using a flash", it'll turn into an
outright grin.  And when you see what it can do under flare conditions,
you'll hoot and holler.

I love mine.  It's the only 50 I use.

/Mitch