Subject: Re: [Leica] New Summicron or 2ndhand Summilux 50 mm
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:00:29 -0400

I used to own the 50 Summicron with the detachable hood, just prior to the
current model (same optics, I believe).  I currently own a late model DR
Summicron, and a recent 50 Summilux (with detachable hood, also same optics
as current).  As far as I'm concerned, the Summilux is an excellent lens,
and will perform as well as the Summicron (in practice, maybe not in the
lab), and is not much bulkier or heavier.  AFAIK (sorry), it is actually
lighter than the old brass DR.  And, it gives you that extra stop if you
need it.  If I could do things over and could choose between the two for
the same price, I would go for the Summilux.

Dan C.