Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Special Edition M6s
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:23:26 +0200

I find this fight between collectors and users silly. I would submit that many
of us users are also just a tiny bit collectors. Why do some of us (myself
included) shoot with LTM Leicas and 60-year old lenses when we also have the
M6s? Because it is fun and because it is nice to have these old cameras and
lenses to look at. I am most certainly a user and would never buy any piece of
equipment if I did not intend to take pictures with it. But once the Leica bug
bites I think many of us become collectors too to a greater or (in my case)
lesser extent.

As for the special LHSA M6 that was the original subject of this thread, I say
all the power to Leica. We all know it is a small company struggling to survive.
If they can sell several hundred M6s with a 200% margin, then it is good for all
of us.

Nathan

Roger Beamon wrote:

> Nuts! One of the most knowledgable and astute collectors was a
> personal friend back in the Philadelphia area. He had a
> photographic memory and had commited to it every fact that was
> know to man about every model of Leica cameras, lenses, and
> accessories. His collection was virtually complete and his
> collecting had resolved itself to trying to locate better examples of
> what he already had.
>
> What I'm driving at is that he was one of the most gentle and
> influential men I've had the privilege of knowing. I submit that he
> was, indeed, a true collector and was far from a pain in the ass to
> anybody, let alone everybody.
>
> All this in the past tense, because, sadly, he died a few years ago.
> Pain in the asses, I don't mourn, but I do mourn the loss of
> Francis Burke.
>
> --
> Roger
> mailto:roger@beamon.org