Subject: [Leica] [Leica} which M lens to choose or sell?
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 23:56:28 +0200

The discussion between Nathan and Mark makes interesting reading.
There are rational choices about focal length. You could select your
lenses in such a way that every focal length you want to have is
covered by M, or by a combination of M and R.
Here you choose basically for changes in perspective.
Many  Leica users ask me by phone or email if I can recommend a prime
set of M lenses. Well after much reflection I am afraid I cannot
select a core set of lenses for the M.
The point is this: every current lens in the M lineup has a very
different characteristic or individuality. You might argue: I have a
new 90 so I do not need a 75. True to a certain extent. But the 75
has very different imagery from the new 90. These image differences
are not so small that only I can see them. Everyone can.
So selling your 75 or 90 is not only selling a certain
perspective/focal length, you are selling an optical  personality
that might serve you well if you are in the game of subtle image
speak.
I have the 75 and bought a new 90 (apo). At first thought I would
sell the 75. Then I looked again at the pictures and deceided to keep
the 75. Its fingerprint is unique. It's optical performance at f/2 is
indeed below the apo-90 at f/2, but the individual balancing of
residual aberrations gives it  a personality. This lens speaks image
language very fluently.
So I keep it.
The same goes for the 2/35 asph and the 1.4/35 asph. In fact you
should have both. There are more differences than  maximum aperture
to discuss. Both lenses have their own personality traits and an
image with the 2/35  asph will have a different feeling than one
taken with the 1,4/35 asph.
This is not fantasy island. Leica lenses deserve a very educated look.

Erwin