Subject: [Leica] Hologon?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 09:38:19 -0400

At 12:04 AM 7/31/1999 -0700, Ken lisaka wrote:
>It was not until 1970 or so when Voigtlander, then owned by Zeiss,
>introduced the infamous Hologon, the simplest superwide in existence, with
>merely three elements in -, +, - configuration, inheriting the same power
>configuration as Aviogon and orthometar.

Ken

I'm not certain of a Voigtlander connexion with the Hologon and, in any
event, have never heard of this before.

Voigtlander no longer existed in 1970:  it had been utterly, totally, and
completely merged into Zeiss Ikon to form ZIV by this time, and the
Voigtlander lens people had all been moved to Oberkochen.

Per Kingslake, the Hologon dates to 1966 (Ger Pat 1,241,637).  Wright and
Wilkinson, in their superb A LENS COLLECTOR'S VADE MECUM, trace the design
to Richter's Pleogon, a Postwar development of the Pleon
aerial-reconnaissance lens (for the production of which the US moved the
Zeiss leadership to the American Zone in 1945), and Richter DID work at
Voigtlander from 1914 until 1923, whence he moved to Goerz and, when Goerz
became a founding member of Zeiss Ikon, to the Zeiss works at Jena.  So,
yes, there might be a Voigtlander connexion with the Hologon, but a damned
tenuous one, it would seem.

If you have other information, I'd be most interested to find it out!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!