Subject: [Leica] RE: Meterless Metering - my 2 cents
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 20:44:03 -0700

> csocolow wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have any tips/techniques for meterless photography? I use
> > the "sunny 16 rule" allowing a filter factor for pollution, etc. I know
> > that fluorescent lighting with 400 ISO film is 1/30 @ f/4. My question
> > regards ambiguous situations such as shade, overcast days, low-level
> > twilight, etc. A year or so ago someone posted an old trick they had
> > learned in the military having to do with intensity of shadow cast on
> > the ground as a basis for exposure calculation. Cartier-Bresson
> > eye-balled his exposures. Anything along these lines would help.
> > --
> > Carl Socolow

	I use a variation of the 16 rule.  If it is Sunny out and I am
shooting an ISO 100 film I use a shutter speed lower (1/60 sec.) and F11,
then if subject is partial shade open up one stop.  If full shade 2 stops.
Works well for me.  Using the speed below with F11 sometimes buy you an
extra 1/3 stop here and there which helps.

	Velvia 1/30 at f11 or /60 at F8 or 1/125 at F5.6

	Peter K