Subject: Re: [Leica] New Leica M Motor?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 12:18:41 -0700

Bernard wrote:

> David Morton wrote:
>
> > At the risk of being lynched for rumourmongering, has anyone else
> > heard of
> > a new power winder for the M from Leica? Supposedly much smaller (not
> > hard), quieter (likewise), and with a built in grip.
> >
> > I can't help feeling that it's long overdue, but that introducing it
> > now
> > would be more than a little insensitive to the feelings of R8 owners.
>
> It could easily lead to serious unrest and even rioting by R8 owners, in
> urban areas. Especially if the M-motor would wind faster than the
> current R8-winder.
>
> Bernard.

I have another opinion on that.
My feeling on the Leica M motor is that after much fussing around with the older
model (M4-2) they finally have it down. I used mine this week and it worked
perfectly. No it's not a small as Tom A's thumb advanced winder but that's a
different ball of wax. (By the way, yesterday I was picking out lawn sprinklers
and one was advertised as made entirely of Zinc!) Last week I read how I think
it was Bruce Davidson goes all over New York City all day shooting with it.
It could be smaller but I assume that could not be done easily or they would
have done so.
Quiet wise I think it is as quiet as hell.
Is yours driving you crazy Bernard? I've been guessing wrong lately but I'd
guess you don't have one but if you did you would quickly grow to be less
critical of it.
Mark Rabiner