Subject: Re: [Leica] outsourcing components
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 21:12:52 -0400

Are you suggesting that all Apple does is assemble the iMac computer?  Is
that all they do?   Who designed it?  Who determines the specifications of
all of the component parts that go into the iMac?  Who costs out the
manufacturing process?   Who manufacturers it?  Apple does.

I don't think you are in agreement with Erwin Puts as per the idea that
Leica is an assembler of cameras.  He certainly stated the contrary, and I
doubt that your condescending email will convince him otherwise.

Dan C.

At 09:38 PM 01-08-99 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 8/1/99 2:18:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
>imxputs@knoware.nl writes:
>
><< Most modern companies in
> the western world do the three things that they know best: design a
> product, find suppliers for many components and assemble the product
> to their specification and design/production philosophy. >>
>
>Mr. Puts took issue with my suggestion that Solms is an assembler rather
than
>a precision manufacturer since he earlier advised Solms was outsourcing the
>parts used in the cameras.  Then in his later post he takes issue with that
>conclusion but wrote the above which appears to support my conclusion that
>Solms is an assembler as opposed to a manufacturer.  Mr. Puts also
>illustrated his suggestion with companies such as Porsche, BMW, Nikon,
Apple,