Subject: Re: [Leica] outsourcing components
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 00:16:52 EDT

This is an interesting argument about assembling and manufacturing.  Leitz
and Leica have been outsourcing components for their cameras and lenses for
many years.  In fact, I don't believe Leitz ever made much of their own
glass, except for very small batches made in the glass research lab.  Marc
and Erwin can fill in the blanks here. This goes all the way back to the
beginning of the Leica in 1925.  Schott, Corning and now Hoya are some of the
sources.  Outsourcing of the M chassis has been going on since at least the
M4 and possibly earlier.  Strip down an M camera and you will see the marking
of the supplier.  Walt, what say you?  Over the years, Leitz and then Leica
has done less manufacturing in house in Germany.  On my first visit to the
assembly halls at Leitz in 1972, I saw many more people working on the
assembly of M5's than I ever did 20+ years later on M6's.  They even had two
blind people at the end of the line doing QC by listening to the sound the
camera made to check proper adjustment of the shutter speeds!  Keep in mind
that the M5 almost sank the company and Leitz lost money on every one sold.
Remember the Leitz factories in Canada and then Portugal?  What do you think
they do there?  Well, if you can't guess, they manufacture subassemblies and
partly assemble components for cameras, lenses, binoculars, spotting scopes,
etc.  Here's another fact; the CLS shutter used in the R3 was made by Copal
for Leitz.  CLS stood for Copal Leitz Shutter.  Developed by Leitz,
manufactured by Copal.
Yes, Leica does grind and polish lens elements in Solms.  They center the
lens assemblies there.  They coat the elements and cement them there. They
assemble lenses and cameras in Solms too.  Final adjustments to Leica
tolerances are done here.  They do final QC and put them into the white boxes
in Solms also.  But there are no machine tools to manufacture the metal
components used in camera and lens manufacture.  This is all done elsewhere,
maybe Portugal and possibly elsewhere.  I have been visiting Wetzlar and
Solms every few years for the past 27 years.  I know what I have seen with my
own eyes.
Pop the hood of any "quality" German car today.  You will see numerous
components made by Lucas (Prince of Darkness), Bosch, Girling, Getrag, Teves,
ATE, Bilstein, Boge, ZF, and on and on and on.  Are they not BMW's, MB's,
Audis, VW's?  Or like the old Keebler cookie ads, perhaps you believe in
elves in hollow trees, not factories?

Bill Rosauer