Subject: [Leica] Re: md for r8
From: Dominique.Pellissier@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr (Dominique PELLISSIER)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 13:50:32 +0200

>Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 22:15:58 -0400
>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <a222@redrose.net>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Oft rumored Motor Drive for R8
>
>SP wrote:
><snipped Germenglish>

>CH - Continuous High - 4.5 FPS
>CL - Continuous Low - 2 FPS
>S - Single - single wind
>680 grams with battery pack
>
>article claims it is very quiet
>
>automatic bracketing support, selectable in half or full EVs
>
>quick charger for rechargeable batteries gives recharge in 1 hour;
>charger can be driven by various power sources, incl. car battery
>
>approx 1000 exposures before recharge needed
>
>price approx 1500 DM (quote.yahoo.com says this is
>
>interview seems to indicate one of the design goals was functioning in
>temperatures down to -20 (Celsius I would assume).
>
>I couldn't quite figure out what he was talking about with NiMH
>batteries.
>
>I hate to say it, but other camera companies do seem to have figured out
>how to make motor drives that work.
>
>Didn't the Canon T90 have 4.5FPS motor drive, like 10 years ago?  And
>Olympus had 5FPS on the OM1n as well?
>
>The 3 year lag is a black mark on Leica.
>
>./patrick

I agree with you : they spent 3 years (and more) to "study" a motor whose
specifications are very common. Only the price is uncommon! But we are on
the Leica planet and the teletransportation from our good old earth is
expensive ;-).
BTW for less than 1,500 DEM I've bought recently a C**** EOS 50 with a
battery pack and the  EF 28-105 ! And when I put on the camera my elmarit
R-90 with an adapter, I had a dream : Leica was going to produce AF lenses
for Canon and Nikon.

Dominique Pellissier