Subject: Re: [Leica] A most daring proposition.
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 10:45:00 +0000

>    Huh? What exactly is your problem...? Are you actually faulting Leica
>for employing modern production techiniques? Would you prefer that they were
>out of business? I dare you to find any other 35mm manufacturer that builds
>cameras and lenses as well as Leica. This whole subject is a little weird...
>What would you rather drive every day, a 1960's vintage Rolls Royce, or a
>new Mercedes? If you actually prefer the Rolls, you're nuts, the new car is
>better in every way (nostalgia aside). If you'd like to be rid of your
>"impure" M6, I'll gladly take it off your hands...
>
>Isaac

The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung's editorial comment on Leica's recent
report was accompanied by the photo of an employee with a camera in one
hand and a long screw driver in the other and looking at some enlarged
graph whilst 'adjusting' the camera.

I do not know how old the picture was, but if it was recent, then with
reference to Isaac's  contribition it seems Leica's problem is that they do
not use enough modern techniques. You have to get the things right from the
start if you want to keep costs down. You can't keep adjusting 'till it
gets right. Or do they have little guys adjusting the valves of all
Mercedes engines before they are delivered to customers? Or check if the
point the air bag releases is the one in the book?

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58