Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Darkroom to digital
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 13:51:14 -0400

At 11:08 AM 8/3/1999 +0000, you wrote:
>The most important cpu specification with Photoshop is MMX.  Your celeron
>does not have MMX.

Uh, BD, why do you think this?

Intel certainly believes that the Celeron includes MMX (see:
http://www.intel.tm.za/design/celeron/index.htm#mmx).

I upgraded from a P266 MMX: bought an Abit motherboard and a Celeron 333
for about $180 *total*.  Over-clocked the Celeron to 504 mHz using Abit's
software, and installed a couple of extra fans in the cabinet to keep the
CPU temp down.  Total cost not much more than $200.  The cost of a PIII
500mHz chip *alone* is nearly three times that.  The Celeron uses a
different caching system than the Pentium, but I'm not sure how interesting
the differences would be to Luggers.

This set-up runs circles around the P266, and the added speed is
dramatically noticeable during scanning, image processing, and printing,
which place the main processing load on my system.

I also added a two-year-old Matrox Millennium 10MB video card, which was a
state-of-the-art 2D card when it was released.  Cost new well over $400.  I
bought it on eBay for $50.  I used the 3D card that I already have for the
second monitor.  Windows98/Adobe allow me to adjust the gamma separately
for both monitors.

A no-holds-barred system, in my view, would look like this:

Dual 500+mHz processors
256 MB system RAM (minimum)
8+ gig HD, wide SCSI or UltraDMA IDE, 7200 RPM.
2 monitors/cards to suit one taste and budget, at least one of the combos
*really* good for image editing.
CD R/W (I have a first generation 2x write that works OK, but is slooooow.)
Nikon LS-2000 or equivalent scanner.
Other drives, devices to suit one particular needs.
Printer of one's choice.

I use an Epson Perfection 636 (USB) flatbed with a transparency adapter to
scan 6x9 stuff.  Here's where a fast/large hard disk is absolutely
essential.  An ordinary transparency scanned at full resolution at actual
size generates a .tiff file of about +/- 30MB.  A 6x9 scanned at the same
resolution/size can generate an image file approaching a gig in size.  Add
PS's workspace requirements, and we're talking multiple gigs to process a
single image.  Suffice it to say, I can't work at this level on my present
system (I scan 6x9cm at 35mm dimensions--with a subsequent loss in image
quality), but I can imagine putting together a system that could . . .

Chandos

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown