Subject: [Leica] Italy...
From: Jiri_Dvorak@idx.com
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 16:52:57 -0700

Greetings everybody,

just got back from a trip to Italy. What a great country! This was my third
trip there, this time to Rome and south. It's hard to be back in the States
and (mostly gray) Seattle, now.

Anyway, to keep on topic, I took two M6 bodies, 35/2A, 50/2, 90/2.8 and
Delta 400 film. My 28/2.8 stayed home for I wanted to travel light. And I
hardly ever felt a need for it. Actually, I hardly used it ever since I got
the 35/2A last fall (that makes me think, maybe I should trade it for
24/2.8A, anybody interested?).

The only x-ray problems were in London. Those guys always x-rayed all my
film, despite it being in a clear plastic bag without containers. Americans
and Italians let me hand it thru without the x-ray. What's wrong with those
British guys?

From Rome we went to Pompei, then Amalfi coast and Ravello (highly
recommended; the day we got there the Parisian Orchestra was playing
outside, on a platform between sea and sky, La Mer). Then on to Paestum and
down to Sicily. I wish we spent more time in Palermo, but it was just too
hot for us and it looked like the garbage collectors had been on strike for
a week or so... And then to Lipari (Aeolian) Islands. A dream, clean blue
water, black sand and volcanoes. Just couldn't stand the strong sulfur odor
on one of the islands (Vulcan). And then on to Napoli and Rome. The trip
would be even better out of season, but we couldn't do it this time. Next
time...

I'm in the process of developing the film (in Xtol 1+1, no sight of Ilfotec
DD-X in Seattle), so far it looks pretty good. That 35/2A is quite
amazing...

Jiri Dvorak