Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: optical essentialism
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:46:09 -0700

On 3 Aug 99, Mark Rabiner wrote, at least in part:

> Roger Beamon wrote:
> >
> > On 3 Aug 99, Mikiro Mori wrote, at least in part:
> >
> > >  I would assume a 90mm apo Summicron and a 100mm
> > > Makro-Elmarit are on the same lines.
> >
> > For me, that assumption is a bit of a leap. I'll allow that it is
> > possible since I only have the latter to evaluate. A comparison, in
> > other than close work, would be interesting.
> >
> > --
> > Roger
> Erwin says the  90mm Apo Summicron is the first lens to surpass the 100mm
> Makro-Elmarit. Mark Rabiner

Yeah, I know he did, and since I have no means of disproving
him, I'll have to go along. It *was* kind of qualitative, though,
not? Besides, though I did say "other than close work, I claim the
right to act in an illogical fashion (the distaff side can't have all the
fun) and factor in the ability to go where the 90 can't, i.e. up close
without aux. glass/tubes. I'm totally biased; I'm in love with the
darn thing!

C'mon, Mark, there can't be anything better than the 100mm
Makro Elmarit...can there?

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org