Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom to digital
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 21:18:11 -0400

At 09:46 PM 8/2/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I have pretty well given up all of my colour darkroom work.  I use a HP
>Photosmart scanner and an Epson Photo printer.  For 8x10 colour prints, I
>am quite happy with the results.  If I need anything larger, I go to a pro
>lab.
>
>I still use my darkroom for fibre based b/w printing, but I find that
>judicious use of quadtone or tritone printing with photoshop can work
>wonders with a b/w image that are impossible to duplicate in a traditional
>darkroom.
>
>And...when I get around to experimenting with the new archival quad inks
>for b/w printing, I may give up on the darkroom entirely.
>
>Dan C.

Ditto to everything Dan said.  I have the Nikon LS-2000 scanner and the
Epson PhotoEx and get 11x17 color prints that beat anything my Ilford
Processor and Ilfochrome can do.  I'm still working on the b/w but they are
introducing new improved inks and papers so quickly that it's impossible to
keep up.  The archival quadtones they are coming out with now look very
promising.  I love what you can do in the darkroom with fiber paper but
will have no qualms about giving up the chemicals if I can achieve the same
or better results digitally.

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley