Subject: [Leica] FW: X-ray Film Question
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 13:21:06 -0400

Ted Grant wrote:
> So how would you handle this kind of situation when you say,<<<<<>I won't
> let my film (either exposed or unexposed) go through the X-ray machines.?
Hi Ted,
Did run into an insurmountable problem trying to get on board in Tibet.
There is no sense of humor in the Chinese soldiers' repertoire.
Their English was okay, but they demanded I put the bag through (kept
pointing to a little sign on the crude looking box "Film Safe", chambering
their weapons at the same time.)
Wasn't about to argue the merits of fogged base with ignorant and heavily
armed people, had only five rolls of TriX in the bag- so what the hey, I let
them run it.  It got smoked by two stops (at least!)

Saw someone mention the Brits Xray everything; on my most recent trip I
did as normal and handed my cloth bag to the person by the metal detector
(along with my watch & my pocket change).  She said, "What's this then?"  I
said 'film, I'd like it hand checked please.'  I stepped through, we moved
to the side, near a small table, she opened the bag, looked inside, and let
me go on.

In Turkey once I was taken into one of those side rooms (not the secondary
inspection ones) because I didn't want my film Xrayed.  I talked with the
officer for about a minute, the bag on the table between us.  He said I
wouldn't be getting on the plane if I didn't let the film go through the
machine.  I said, "I cannot allow these exposed frames depicting your
beautiful country the slightest chance of being damaged.  Therefore I must
make other arrangements for departure."
He studied me for a bit, smiled, wrote something in Turkish in my passport,
and escorted me directly to the gate.

The coupe de grace occurred at Washington National; this nasty woman (with a
capital "B") was adamant about running the film through. I told her it
couldn't be safe for any speed film (because she asked if my film was
'fast').  I then reasoned 'I have a job to do, I'm a photographer; and film
is the key to my business. You wouldn't see me asking you to NOT use your
Xray or wand, right?  You've got a job to do, so please hand check my film.'
Her boss stepped over, took the cloth bag from her, and checked each and
every roll (!)
This second woman said, as she inspected, "Well, I hope you have plenty of
time to make your plane."  Which may be a key; I arrive early in
anticipation of delays such as this.