Subject: [Leica] Re: actual focal length
From: Dominique.Pellissier@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr (Dominique PELLISSIER)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 20:20:20 +0200

>Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 10:26:25 +0100
>From: "Simon Pulman-Jones" <spulmanjones@lbs.ac.uk>
>Subject: [Leica] RE: actual focal length
>
>Bill Rosauer wrote:
>
>"...only Leica has the integrity to
>actually engrave the actual focal length of the lens on the barrel of lenses
>50 mm and longer."
>
>Can anybody explain how the numbers engraved on the barrel beyond the
>infinity markings relate to actual focal length? I find 00 on my Noctilux,
>05 on my 200/4 Telyt, and 10 on my 90 Elmarit-M. Is this variation from the
>nominal focal length in hundredths of a millimetre? If so, there appears to
>be no plus or minus indication.
>
>I can't imagine what use this information could be to me, but I'd still like
>to know...

05 tenths of mm = 0.5 mm.
For your Telyt 200 the exact focal length is : 200.5 mm.
For your Elmarit 90 : 91 mm.
On my Elmarit R-90 I read : 95 <:-o). So... the exact focal length is : 89.5 mm.

I guess it could be important to know these data.
I know that japanese manufacturers "cheat" on the focal length of the
lenses. For instance my C**** 28-105 is a 30-95 according to CI. Leica does
not cheat even with the "japanese" leica lenses.

Dominique Pellissier