Subject: Re: [Leica] Backup camera or more Leica glass?
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 00:29:24 -0400

>What would you prefer to have? A backup Leica camera or more Leica lenses?
>have an M6 and an M4-P. I could use a couple of lenses, but I can't really
>afford to buy any unless I sell the M4-p. During my professional days I
>would have never considered shooting without a backup body.
>
>What would you do?
>
>What minimal system lenses would you consider? I mainly do journalistic
>style pictures of family and some travel.

  Actually I've found that I come back (from somewhere) with better photos
when I take one body and two lenses.  If you are far from home, or wherever,
you may think I should have brought the 50!  Or what a pain in the lux - I'm
not even using this other M! The latter, well you could also be very upset.
But I've got this great method (I'm selling tapes if interested!) Bring one
body and two lenses - one for SHORT and one for LONG!  That way you don't
waste time fumbling cameras and obsessing about multi-variables.  If the
subject is close, keep the 28 on!  If the subject is far, just switch to the
90!  It is so simple that way.  I did this with an R - a 28 elmarit and a
180 elmarit - the old monster!  Choice?  I knew when to use, rather not to
use one or the other.  I might think oh I missed this shot, but just shoot
thousands of pics and you'll get plenty.  It is best to concentrate as much
as possible on seeking composition - like an airport sniffin' dog!  With
this simple choice you can spend more time looking around and less time
worrying if you are looking with the right eye. If your camera breaks, just
buy a bucket of disposable ones!