Subject: Re: [Leica] carpal tunnel syndrome
From: Kent Jon Peters <KPETERS@huntel.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 22:17:01 -0700

Francesco Sanfilippo wrote:

> Hi LUGgers:
>
> Has anyone here experienced Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?  I think I may
> be developing it and I am curious to hear some first hand accounts of
> how it was handled or managed.  I sit at my computer for a MINIMUM
> of 10 hours every day, usually more like 12-14.  Why?  I am a
> web programmer and internet developer, and I like to read the LUG!
>
> My problem started just a few weeks ago with a gradual
> development of a numbing sensation in the wrist and outer two fingers
> of my right hand.  Sometimes they get so painful and numb that they
> feel COLD compared to the rest of my hand.  I am getting concerned
> since there is no way possible to reduce computer keyboard time
> without getting another job.  I have read that a simple surgery
> corrects
> the problem permanently in 85% of cases.
>
> Essentially, the median nerve is squeezed abnormally to numbness
> by the inflammation of ligaments and tendons (caused by extended
> use and repetitive motions) passing through the carpal tunnel
> (a passageway through the bones of the wrist).
>
> Any experiences with CTS would be much appreciated.....thank you!
>
> Francesco

- -------
ps:  you also cannot rule out a "radiculopathy" or nerve irritation from
the cervical spine (neck) if you're hunched over a computer all day!
Should be ruled out as well!  Both the median and ulnar nerves originate
in the spine, so a nerve root that was inflamed also could cause some of
your symptoms.... Kent Peters