Subject: Re: [Leica] what the heck kind of leica is this?!
From: Ericplatt@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:40:10 EDT

I'm the last person in the world to be considered a Leica "expert", but your
camera appears "normal" to me.  The early M6 cameras did not have the word
"Leica" engraved on the front.  I have in front of me a 1988 M6 brochure with
a photo of a camera that looks nearly identical to yours (wear and tear
excluded, of course).

As far as I can tell, all the early M6 cameras had the film plane engraving
(under the advance lever) and no other engraving on the top.

I think you have a regular camera.  I'm not sure why the serial number was
removed.  I guess I'm trusting enough that if the store fed you that line,
I'd actually accept it.  Martin Guitars does something similar.  If an
employee makes a guitar, it cannot say "Martin" on it or be covered by their
warranty, even though it was made in the same factory by the same tools by
the same people.  Just quirkiness, I guess.

Does the area where the serial number is supposed to reside show wear, like
the number was ground off?  If it looks clean, with no grinding marks, I'm
wondering if someone took off the original hot shoe (with a serial number)
and replaced it with one without a serial number.  Maybe done as a
replacement?

Eric Platt