Subject: Re: [Leica] Hexanon 1,2/60, part 1
From: Malcolm McCullough <blayne@mbox2.singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 16:41:14 +0800

Erwin wrote:

> Through the Hexanon 1.2/60mm at full aperure flows less energy than through
> the Noctilux 1.0/50mm. In fact the Hexanon at 1,2 is equal to the  Noctilux
> at f/1.4. When comparing the two lenses at their full aperture, one
should be
> aware of the fact that it is a f/1.0 against f/1.4 game.

'Puzzled' of Singapore now writes:

Could you explain this a bit further, Erwin? I have always thought that
relative aperture (strictly speaking T-stop instead of f-stop) was the only
factor controlling 'energy flow'  - ie that an f1 50 mm lens has the same
'energy flow' as an f1 100 mm lens, for example. The 100 mm lens admits four
times the energy from each point, but the 50 admits the energy from four times
as many points, if you like. So I'm a bit baffled about how a 60 mm f1.2 has
the same 'energy flow' as a 50 mm f1.4. Maybe it is just that we are each
thinking of different things when we say 'energy flow'.

Anyway, you have prompted me to look at an aspect of my M6s that I have
neglected: their feng shui. I have now consulted an expert who has recommended
that I place a small window-box planted with certain spiky cacti under the
rangefinder window (to improve sharpness) and another with round-leaved plants
under the lens (to improve bokeh). He hasn't yet told me what to do to improve
the number of R8 tokens in my bank balance, except to suggest that I paint the
cameras red. I shall keep the LUG posted about the success of my plantings.

Regards,
Malcolm