Subject: [Leica] Re: Print Development Time
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 11:05:45 -0700

When developing a print, all of the exposed silver should be developed,
that is, developed to completion. To do this, you should always develop
prints for the same amount of time. It takes about two minutes for all of
the exposed silver to react with the developer. If you overexpose the print
and have to "pull" it from the developer in order to keep it from going too
dark, the print will look muddy. Over the past 50 years, I have settled on
a development time (Dektol) of three minutes. By always developing for the
same time (three minutes for me) and adjusting the exposure to obtain the
correct print density, your prints will always be consistent.

The key is to be consistent on the development time, and to make sure it is
long enough to develop the print to completion. That means, if you leave it
in longer, it won't change.

I forget what Kodak says. I think they say that complete development is
achieved at 1-1/2 minutes. Anyway, find a time you are happy with (at least
1-1/2 minutes) and religiously stick with it. I like three minutes.

Also, make sure your safelight is safe for this time period. If you are
worried about your safelight, put the print face down after the first 30
seconds.

Jim