Subject: Re: [Leica] Character of 180mm
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 07:46:08 -0300

David:

I saw a list of tests by the German Magazine Color Foto and the 180 APO
Summicron tested higher than the Canon and the Nikon equivalents.  Somebody
on the LUG may still have this list.  It used three catagories to create
the score, resolution, contrast and I can't remeber the third.  The Leica
scored near perfect on the contrast and resolution, with a total score out
of 100 for all three at around 96.  I think the Canon 1.8 was around 92 and
the Nikon in the high eighties.

I have the 180 APO Summicron and am very please with the results.  Not only
is it razor sharp, but it has that Leica look that some of the other brands
lack.  I have soccer slides taken with the Leica 280 2.8 APO and some taken
with the Canon 300 2.8, and everybody likes the leica images better.  The
Leica have more contrast and better more saturated colour.  The Canon
images look sharp, but just don't have that 3d leica look.  I imagine the
same could be said about the Canon 200 1.8 compared to the 180 APO Summicron.

Below is a link to an image taken using the 180 APO Summicron at a
Superbike race Saturday.  It was a panning shot taken while the bike was
probably doing about 80mph.  The camera was on 1/90th and f8.  If you look
at the decals on the bike and the riders leathers, you can see they are
tack sharp.  I find with the APO lenses, that if they are sharp images, the
unsharp mask filter in Photoshop does not make them any sharper.

http://home.iSTAR.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/Misc/suzuki600-3.jpg

Regards,

Robert

At 11:08 PM 8/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I'll be looking a Leica 180mm R lens this fall.
>
>Does anyone have information comparing the:
>
>-    180mm f2.8
>-    180mm f2.8 APO
>-    180mm f2.0 APO
>-    200mmf1.8EOS/FD Canon
>
>I was hoping to learn how they compare optically? The Leica propaganda isn't
>much help. I once saw a lens test page that compared many Leica, Canon,
Nikon,