Subject: Re: [Leica] Screw to M adapters
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:45:11 -0400

At 12:11 PM 8/10/1999 -0700, Jim Laurel wrote:

>-- Are specific adapters required for each lens, or does each adapter work
>with a certain group of lenses?
>
>-- I keep watching the KEH catalog, but rarely see adapters for sale.  Can
>anyone recommend a good source for them?
>
>-- I've seen references to non-Leica adapters here on the LUG.  Is there any
>substantive difference between the Leica (OEM) and the third party adapters?

There are three diferent adapters made by Leitz:  one which will bring up
the 35mm frameline in an M6, one which brings up the 50mm frame-line, and
one which brings up the 90mm frame-line.  These adapters have recently been
reproduced under license by J Uhl in Germany and are, I believe, still
available new from him.  (His shop is "Foto-Hobby" and they have a
web-page, I believe, though I do not have the URL at hand.)

KEH is arguably the worst single place to look for Leica M gear.  Their
prices are high, their technical knowledge is low, and the results can be
chaotic.  I have gotten some good buys there but quit using KEH five or six
years back after I had to return three or four howlingly mis-advertised
items.  They just didn't know the M or LTM systems.

Check with Tamarkin, Chatterton, PacRim, Brooklyn Camera Exchange,
Mid-West, Pins, Woodmere, or Ritz.  All of these understand LTM and M gear.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!